Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Windows of Castroville


I have spent the last week painting near the town of Castroville in central south Texas....


This german settlement  stays in a time warp and is known for its lace curtained windows.....


There is a morphing of cultures here with the Hispanic and German influences creating a new style...



Some homes reflect the typical adobe style ranch home with draught tolerant plants....


But most have the traditional lace curtained windows that bid me to sneak through total stranger's yards to photograph for my collection!




Luckily, it was a sunny day and I found lots of different styles to document....


This is from the Old Alsatian restaurant where I always stop to eat...


I love the way this awning took the lace curtain effect and reinterpreted it in metal....


This has always been my favorite window....three rows of perfectly tatted lace above the wood shutters...


These windows from the past  help inspire me for future projects....take a look at your windows and decide if anyone would like to sneak through your yard to photograph them!

5 comments:

Karen Sabrsula said...

We drove through there by accident earlier this summer. It is definately on my list of places to explore more in Texas!

La Dolfina said...

What a great collection of lace window coverings. I love taking these kinds of shots. Beautiful.
Sorry I haven't been round for a while, hope you're enjoying your summer.

Gina said...

Dear Theresa, When I saw the first window I thought that you had hopped across the ocean. The only difference, lace curtains AND white phalaenopsis in windows are now de rigueur in central Europe.
Will you show us what you have painted while visiting this part of Texas?
Happy Sunday

French-Kissed said...

Beautifully documented...would love to visit there someday.

~jermaine~

ceecee said...

I'm so intrigued now... I want to visit this little town. Texas? Amazing.
I don't know how this happens but rustic windows have been on my mind the past two days. (Am I channeling you?) I pulled an article out of my files on the rustic windows of Russian country cottages with their gingerbread-like wooden frames. I prefer this sort of simplicity over anything.
Love this post!

Catherine

Related Posts with Thumbnails