Thursday, November 29, 2012

Curtain Call.....




Theatre curtains...to me, they are the most grand illusion and example of trompe l'oeil. Ravenswood Studios created this illusion.

Sande Chase of the blog, A Gift Wrapped Life,  just posted on Bergdorf Goodman's holiday windows. Designer David Hoey also seems to appreciate the grandeur of trompe theater curtains.

This is the famed Opera Garnier in Paris. Most people would not know these are all trompe!


Sfumato Pintura Escenica excells at trompe theatre curtains! The scale of this project and detail keep me in awe...

Being able to study these step-by-step make it even better!

These curtains from Hillsborough, New Hampshire were sold at one time to another theater and are now restored and returned to their original home.
Never pass up an opportunity to tour an opera house or old theatre...the trompe is usually well worth it!

9 comments:

Mark D. Ruffner said...


Dear Theresa - I was looking at that magnificent curtain by Sfumato Pintura Escenica and thinking that it would be fun to have the walls of a room decorated with it at its original scale. I guess it's all that braiding that attracts me . . .

Theresa Cheek said...

Mark-all that passementerie drew me in as well. I would love a wall done like that!

Karena said...

Teresa, stunning absolutely amazing!

xoxo
Karena
2012 Artists Feature and Giveaway from The House of Edward

Lynne Rutter said...

passementerie is one of my favorite words. real or painted!

patrickgracewood said...

Theresa, thank you for these, Just wonderful. A Great way to unveil my day.

Wouldn't it be fun to have any of these on a wall or room for the holidays. You wouldn't need a tree or any other decoration!
...but how hard to take them down and how dull the world thereafter.

patrickgracewood said...

Theresa, These are a great way to unveil my day!
Wouldn't it be fun to have any one of these on the wall for the holidays. You wouldn't need tree or trimmings with this much red exuberance. But oh, how dull in January when they come down....

Theresa Cheek said...

Oh Patrick..the Leo in me wants to walk though these curtains every day! LOL!

stencil helen said...

Ooooh trompe of the most scrummy. Tthe steps of the curtain creation is fascinating and Opera Garnier has to be one of my fave places for decorative loveliness. Thank you.

London Plastering said...

First I would like to appriciate you for the valuable information sharing with us. Thanks for making informative blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails