Friday, July 9, 2010

Don't Lick The Walls.....



I have always been fascinated with salt domes....




These photos are from the famous Wieliczka Salt Mine just outside Krakow, Poland


This mine has been  in operation over 900 years and features many art related objects all carved from salt!



The acoustics are perfect for music and concerts have been held in the largest chamber.


The incredible chandeliers lining the largest chamber are all made of rock salt!


Their glow inside the chamber is incredible as the light reflects from the salt walls....



With all that salt around you, it might be tempting....but, please observe the "Don't Lick the Walls" signs!

9 comments:

(IN)DECOROUS TASTE said...

Wow!! I can't imagine licking those walls... ouch. My tongue hurts just thinking about it. Concerts there must be beautiful, though.

Ann said...

How cool!

Cleveland has a rather large salt mine on the Lake Erie shore- for miles underneath it. (I don't get it- how can that be with Lake Erie being fresh water?) I should look into a tour, but somehow I don't think it will be quite like that one!

-Ann

patrickgracewood said...

Theresa,
you've done it again. How do you find these amazing sites? My prayer for you is that you've either already visited or will soon all the amazing places you share with us.

BTW looking forward to seeing you later this month in Portland.

Jennifer Carrasco said...

The color reminds me of that powdery metallic, shell gold....you always have the best posts, Theresa! J

ceecee said...

Wow! Just when you think you've seen everything. This is amazing. Thanks, Theresa.

Catherine

Theresa Cheek said...

Thanks everyone!!! Patrick-getting excited about Portland!!!!

My Castle in Spain said...

I can't believe these chandeliers are made of rock salt...Fascinating!
Have a great week end Theresa!
:-)
Lala

Rehman said...

We in Pakistan are really impressed by your blog. Your aesthetic sense is unique. We appreciate your creativity.

Gina said...

Dear Theresa, Another fabulous post. Not a place I am in a rush to visit. Don't like to be underground. So thanks for bringing it to us in pictures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails