Friday, February 4, 2011

French Influences...



I just finished a project for a client that wanted a timeless patina with french influences for a bedroom in her home. With touches of gilding, painted canvas and washes of color, the illusion began....



First, I painted panels for the head and footboard on canvas.




Then, the distressing began...washes of color and sanding aged the design giving the illusion of a rescued antique!



The canvas was beaten, crumpled, even abraded with a rasp to get the effect of wear over time.


Soft garlands and ribbon with a touch of lattice gave it a European feel.


Coronas and mirrors were also aged to add to the story.


A palette of french blue, cream and soft pinks with touches of gilding gave the soft look needed.


Small berries and olive leaves were used on the mirrors.....



With the  flick of a brush and attention to detail, any era can be created in a home. There are many qualified artists just waiting to complete your dreams! The only thing limiting you is your imagination!

14 comments:

Karena said...

Theresa,

Stunnung, just jaw dropping stunning! You astound me with your creativity!

Who does your custom canvases?

Come and join my amazing Giveaway from Splenderosa!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I really enjoyed looking at this posting. With your talent, the cool projects do come your way, don't they? I've been planning to paint a room in my house in the Pompeian style, and I still haven't decided whether or not I want to distress the walls ...

patrickgracewood said...

Theresa, Love the details, but will you show us how your art looks in the finished room? I want to see the entire room. (It's always the hardest photo, because we are usually long gone before everything is finished.)

Theresa Cheek said...

oooh.Mark. Pompeii is on my list to create! I really want to do some for myself as well.

Gina said...

Dear Theresa, Absolutely stunning work. The hardest part is always knowing when to stop the "ageing" process. You did a masterful job. Your clients must be ecstatic.

home before dark said...

Glorious! So what do you do in YOUR house? Amazing, I'm betting.

Theresa Cheek said...

i use Roc Lon canvas

ceecee said...

I would never want to turn out the lights... I think I would lay there awake all night just waiting for the sun to come up. Ravishing!!! Someone is very lucky. Have a great weekend (in the snow!).
Catherine

MyFavoriteFrenchAntiques said...

Amazing work, Theresa! Great to see how your project evolved.

Theresa Cheek said...

Thank you all for your kind comments! Yes Catherine, I am "playing in the snow" for a few days...it is COLD!

As far as the canvas, Roc Lon makes "black out" fabric for custom drapery and their canvas is a grade of this. You can buy "black out" fabric from a fabric store if you like.

Pat- Typical of most artists, most of my work is done in other people's homes! No one pays me to stay home and decorate my space!

La Petite Gallery said...

I am typing this with my mouth still open, WOW! you are teriffic, what a talented person you are.
Is's rare to find someone that can do this type work.

Love it I am impressed

yvonne

Anonymous said...

Theresa, you know I love this! I especially enjoyed the first 2 photos of the process. Gorgeous technique.

Cleta

French-Kissed said...

Just stunning... You are over the top talented and if I could, I would hire you to paint every surface in my house!

~jermaine

catherine said...

OH my, so talented! The attention to detail to just lovely
Cat

Related Posts with Thumbnails