Sunday, August 7, 2011

Snagging a sale....End of an Era for Bufe and Babin


One of my favorite design shops, Bufe and Babin is closing after 20 years. This was the best shop in my area for specialty  trim and fabric along with wonderful finds they would ship back from Europe each year....



I went in to catch their closing sale and came away with some wonderful pieces. They had many aubusson remnants and one that I had my eye on for months was still there! I grabbed it, a bag of trim remnants and some other small items.



The bag of trim was in the blue family and will go well with the aubusson piece. Going through the trim was a delight..there was enough for a pillow I will make using the aubusson piece plus other  projects.


Just look at the intricate trim included in my scrap bag! Every item carried in their shop was thought out and gave a custom look for their clients.

I will miss this shop, as they set the bar for design in my area, but will think of them  as I view the treasures I have purchased over the years. Support the small, locally owned shops in your area, these people work hard and have passion for what they do!

9 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Theresa:
Bufe and Babin does indeed sound to have been an absolute treasure trove of a store, how very sad that it will no longer continue to trade. The current brutal economic climate has claimed so many wonderful retailers and it is particularly depressing when such a unique store cannot find the means of continuing its business.

Your trimmings and tassels all sound very pretty and we shall look forward to seeing the aubusson transformed and your textile gems put to good use.

Gina said...

Dear Theresa, I am so jealous. I love aubusson pillows. Can't wait to see what you will do with the trim and how you will put it all together. I know that it will be fabulous. I love going into passementerie shops in Europe. There is a fabulous shop in Padua. They only sell beautiful little nothings. So sad to see lovely specialty shops disappearing.

Ann said...

So true, Theresa. It is a sad day when all we have left are big box stores with absolutely no personality. Going to the mall is depressing and I haven't been in years.

Love your finds- they are true treasures!

Lynne Rutter said...

oooh, passementerie ....

Regina at Fauxology said...

All of the above, I can't say it any better. But I will add this: You can SEW?!? Is there nothing you cannot do, dearest Theresa? A beautiful skill set, without a doubt. Look forward to the pics...

home before dark said...

I am slobbering (does swooning sound more grownup?) over your bag of wonders. I, too, agree with all of the above. Looking forward to seeing your latest work of art.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

You were certainly in the right place at the right time. Still, it's a great shame to see such specialty shops close. There's a splendid fabric store in Tampa, Boca Bargoons, and I love looking at their trim. One of the nice things about BB is that they hang a pair of scissors at each fabric roll, and allow one to take little samples.

Theresa Cheek said...

LOL! Regina, I do NOT sew! Give me a paint brush and I am in the zone though!

Mark-agreed, hate to see the unique local owned shops leave...hoping someone will adopt it!

HBD-you can drool away! Passementerie is a weakness of mine.

Euphoria said...

Beautiful fabrics!

Related Posts with Thumbnails