Sunday, June 9, 2013

Spanish Revival.....

Have you ever been on a mission to find something? Not just anything, but a Spanish Revival style light fixture for my breakfast area.  I made a trip to San Francisco(the home of Spanish Revival) to see my daughter and begin searching through flea markets and antique shops...

Lynne Rutter sent me to Big Daddy's, a treat in itself, where I began to feel like Goldilocks...this one was beyond fabulous but, too big.

...equally fabulous, this was a gem, but too small....


This one made my heart flutter,( a prop from a theater) but was even bigger than the first one!


I ended up with a great piece from the Alameda flea market and tried to ship it home with a few other things, but was too fragile for most shippers to consider.

I ran and bought practically all the bubble and plastic wrap one store had and mummified my iron fixture for its plane ride home with me!

I watched it go down the conveyer belt at the airport check in and prayed it would make it home in one piece....

It did! Here it is one plane ride, one shuttle and one car ride later heading home to be lamped and add glass.

I choose seedy baroque glass and kept the piece as is for aesthetic purposes.


Here is the final results. A rescued iron fixture that is almost 100 years old, now electrified and brought back to use. I love owning things that have a story, do you have some wonderful stories about your collections?

5 comments:

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Dear Theresa,

I wish I could have tagged along on that trip to Big Daddy's! I know how it is when one has a vision and a mission to fulfill. I've been searching for two small, comfortable neoclassic dining room chairs that don't cost a FORTUNE, and I'm still looking! But you found a great lamp, and it looks as though it's always lived in that nook. Say, I like the Greek key on the tablecloth!

Gina said...

Dear Theresa, Your new light fixture looks like it has been there all along. Everything in your photograph looks like it was chosen with love and care. I would love to see your vignettes in detail. ox, Gina

patrickgracewood said...

Bubble wrap and prayers work.
So glad you didn't have to wear it onto the plane as a crown on your head, insisting that it was part of your religion...because it sort of is....but then Art's the Answer is preaching to the choir.

home before dark said...

Yes to what Gina said and yes to the goddess of bubble wrap. It really does look divine!

I bought an oil painting at the Mission Antique Mall in Kansas City that I had admired for years...yes, years she hung on lost. She is a portrait of a woman who looks like she stepped out of an Edith Wharton novel. When my project is all done, I'll have her cleaned. Have no idea who painted her. She just looked at me and said, "Honey, get me out of here."

Theresa Cheek said...

Oh Pat, what a great story. "Honey, get me out of here" !! I have heard that many times in my life while shopping. LOL!

Gina and Pat-I am working on a vignette post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails