Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Sweet Smell of History...



Step off via della Scala into the perfumed world of the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica . Florence is full of many treasures waiting to be discovered and this is certainly one of them.


Over 400 years old, this pharmacy has operated, first serving the needs of the monastery and later, the world. Herbs and potions made by Dominican Friars and backed by the Medici family were the basis of the business.

Creams, lotions, soaps and perfumes are viewed through glass cases. I choose to see the soaps. A wooden tray is brought out with all scents represented. You may touch the samples and smell the scents.


Once a decision is made, your purchase is transferred to a plastic card that you take to another room to pay for and receive.


Even if you are not shopping, the building is worth visiting to see the virtual explosion of decorative ornament.

Five rooms are open to the public -Antica Spezieria, Sala Vendita(sales room), Sala Verde(Green room), Sacrestia(Sacristy) and the Museo. 


Take time to visit this historical building while visiting Firenze!

5 comments:

MyFavoriteFrenchAntiques said...

The beauty coupled with the lingering scents of such an old treasure certainly slows us down.
Elegance included even with the purchase...the plastic card.
What a contrast to our often hurried day here.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I missed this when I was in Florence. I'll have to check in with you when I go again!!

Theresa Cheek said...

Oh Mark, yes! I can recommend many places to get lost in for inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes....I love SMN Farmaceutica. sigh....the minute I walk though the door a feeling of calm settles on my shoulders. While I love the scents and the graciousness of the lovely people there, I cannot stop looking at the floors, the ceilings - the everything.

And Alison Woolley's studio is only a block away. And then, Peter's Tea Shop about 5 minutes of a walk from there....sigh.....thanks for this post, Theresa - I just had a lovely walk down memory lane.

Cleta

Theresa Cheek said...

Cleta,
You hit the nail on the head! You named all the important things on Via Scala! I would love to walk it with you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails