Saturday, September 20, 2014

Imitating Wallpaper






Have you ever been asked to replicate wallpaper? Maybe it is out of print now, or other reasons for a client to want this done. I just finished a job where wallpaper was the inspiration for a powder room.


I started by chalking in some of the design -using two stencils -to give the client an idea of the process. Chalk is a wonderful tool to express ideas directly on the wall, just wipe off the mistakes,  paint directly over the guides and keep going!


I began the stenciling -after doing the math- so on each wall the design would stop at the corners. I started with the stencil "as is", but knew I would need to alter it to make the gold design come out right.


Here comes the chalk again. I began to add ornament to the stenciled shape, making it wider and longer.

Here is the finished design, closely resembling the wallpaper graphics.


Now, time to add the gold! This is what makes the design so wonderful. If you have a sharp eye, you realize I have done all of this in reverse. The wallpaper was gold background with blue silkscreen design-which is what drove their cost up! By reversing the process, I used less gold to keep cost down but had issues to solve where the design met the background.


Here are the finished walls. I had to trowel blue paint over gold and gold paint over blue around the edges of the stencil to make the color crossover work. I also did some negative stenciling over the gold in blue to add to the design. The client is very happy and I enjoyed the whole process. Always think outside the box with stenciling, they are usually just the beginning of a creative process.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

it's wonderful, thank you,
many greetings from Poland,
Angelika

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Dear Theresa,

Your design is absolutely gorgeous!! Your client should be well pleased because I think your version is far richer than the original paper!

Theresa Cheek said...

Thank you Mark. I did take it a little further than what a silkscreen can do.

Karena said...

Beautifully done Theresa. I know this is a very intricate AND time consuming project!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

MyFavoriteFrenchAntiques said...

WOW! Stunning and Elegant

Theresa Cheek said...

Nance! I haven't blogged in so long, I almost forgot how. :) I have been busy with other projects but hope to post more consistently now. Thanks for the kind comments.

Gina said...

Dear Theresa, Beautiful work! Using a stencil is only the beginning. It is what you do with the stencil and how you embellish upon the original that makes YOUR art stand apart from the ordinary.

Theresa Cheek said...

Thank you Gina. I always appreciate your comments. Enjoy your trip.

home before dark said...

I've wondered where you art has led you lately. This is totally smashing. I simply adore it. Hope your client knows how lucky she is to have you!

home before dark said...


I love this new work. Simply glorious.

Lynn Logan Roselli said...

Amazing!!!! It is sooo beautiful! Thanks for sharing your creative process.

Theresa Cheek said...

Pat! I am sorry I didn't comment back on your first post, I really thought I had. So good to see you again.

Ann said...

Absolutely stunning, Theresa!
I agree- it's so much better than a wallpaper could possibly be. It has heart and soul.
Your projects always inspire me.

Beth Scanlon said...

Just gorgeous, in complete agreement with all above your work is just beautiful Theresa.

Lisa said...

I love everything about this: the careful planning, the beautiful execution, the layered textures. Truly splendid!

Theresa Cheek said...

Thanks so much Lisa. You truly understand "the process' involved with each project.

Related Posts with Thumbnails