Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Facelift for a Refrigerator..!



I love clutter. I thrive in chaotic creativity! But, even I have to draw the line sometimes. My refrigerator had become an explosion of photos, memorabilia and too much stuff.


Is this the same refrigerator? You probably see order and nice, clean lines. I see a blank canvas...something my brain is always wrestling with.  How far do you take a blank surface in your home?
I had an idea in the back of my mind for about a year now on how to turn my refrigerator from kindergarten art to an elegant piece of furniture. I began by gilding pieces of trim.


I purchased old hardware on ebay and the hardware store.  I wanted something between a La Cornue range and a Flemish painting....First, I put my refrigerator into a little black dress.



I used items I had to give it a european feel.




I lined the edges of the doors with the gilded trim and finished out the corners with brass plates and acorn nuts.

I love the industrial look it gave.


Is this the same fridge? It shows what a quart of paint, some trim and imagination (and restraint) can accomplish!




The items hanging are things picked up in Paris and other travels...they can be appreciated now, not lost in the clutter.


I really cringed about showing you the before photos, but thought this might help others in how to accomplish a relatively simple facelift!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful done!(... your whole kitchen)!!!
Kindergarten art :-) What a nice word.
Angelika

JKW said...

Unbelievable - where most would see a functional white refrigerator you see a beautifully framed black canvas!

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Dear Theresa,

Your new fridge is very chic, and it really changes the dynamic of the whole kitchen! Your fresh look with all the brass reminds me of the late designer John Dickinson, though his preference was for white. He too modified his kitchen appliances.

Theresa Cheek said...

Thanks Mark. Sometimes, I think we quit seeing our home as others see it. We need a set of fresh eyes every now and then.

home before dark said...

Gotta' love another girl who loves acorn nuts. I call them Harley bolts. In chrome they are screamin!

Love what you saw and what you did. There are those who think outside the box. And then there are those who never see the box, only infinite possibilities. Great job!












Gina said...

Dear Theresa, This is the most fantastic make-over ever!... So original. Never would have thought to incorporate brass. What a stunning transformation!
FABULOUS.

Theresa Cheek said...

HBD-I would incorporate acorn nuts into everything if possible! I keep tweaking the front and need to gild the door handles to finish the lines.

Gina-Thank you so much. I have always loved industrial appliances and think this is a nice blend.

stencil helen said...

Theresa, That is a beautiful transformation, I love it. It would work splendidly in my black and gold Chinoiserie kitchen!

Beth Scanlon said...

This is just fantastic Theresa ! Anything which could be described as being between a "La Cornue range and a Flemish painting" would delight me. You achieved your aim beautifully. Can't wait to read more.

Theresa Cheek said...

Beth! I am thrilled you are here. Thanks for the comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails