Sunday, July 10, 2011

Divvying up wall space..


Walls...sigh...how to divide the space into a pleasing composition?



Sometimes, just a painted grid or play on a greek key will do it!



Or maybe a quiet approach, with simple trim ?


If you need to add weight, you can grid the wall with trim!

Sometimes you don't have to divide the space, a design can spill over into other sections as in this lovely chinoiserie scene.

Need some interest on a focal wall? This design not only gets your attention, it adds height to the small room.

Feeling a little "boxed in"? Bring the outdoors to you with some simple graphic designs of foliage! Done in a faux inlaid approach, this room is now rich and spacious.



Is there a small neglected space at the top of the stairs or at the end of the hallway? Dress it up with a little baroque ornament!


Who said walls have to be rigid? Go all out and create a tufted backdrop for your furniture...whatever you do, let your personality reflect in your walls!

(all photos, unless noted, are from Pinterest)

source

15 comments:

mosaicology said...

lovely first pic.

Regina at Fauxology said...

A whole smorgasbord of beautiful ideas to dive into. Brilliant!

Ann said...

We recently added panels in our LR with an amethyst metallic damask inside each and I love it! Made the whole room so different than before.

That first photo is to die for!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Love the photos!Beautiful!

Jeff Huckaby said...

How indeed! Good ideas here.

Unknown said...

Hey Theresa, this is a great post. It is nice to see some fresh wall ideas and pictures~Penny

Susan Roux said...

Very interesting and creative solutions!

Alan said...

so many seeds of great ideas here

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Theresa - I like the serene look of the gray bedroom. The wall treatment and balanced composition is very calming. I especially like the tufted wall, though I suppose one would be vacuuming the wall constantly!! But I like it - I've been thinking of doing that to a door.

ceecee said...

I've been dividing up walls in my mind since I was a little girl. Any blank wall is victim to my dreams! So, of course you know I loved this post.
Catherine

Gina Wolfrum said...

love, love, love...

Unknown said...

Lovely ideas in this post! I especially enjoyed the picture with the simple forest motif on the wall. The effect is amazing!!!

patrickgracewood said...

It helps to start with high ceilings.

That first photo looks like a dream, I've got all sorts of ideas as to what those doors open on to... a garden, a light filled salon full of intelligent (and kind) people....

Theresa Cheek said...

Patrick-
Then the room must be full of people like you!

Petra-thank you for taking time to read my post.

Catherine-Your words are always poetry.

stencil helen said...

I must have missed this in 2011, I was an avid reader of everything that you wrote about interiors. I feel that these pictures are still fresh. I know I missed it first time around because I'd have told you that we have a stencil that looks like wall tufting (buttonback) and one that makes a gridded wood panel effect. Of course the Chinoiserie is my hands down fave but it was a good, varied selection of images.

Related Posts with Thumbnails