Friday, November 5, 2010

Crocodile Smiles...


Thought you might like to see what I have been up to. I just finished a project for a client's new home....


This was the dining room before the project began...

The clients had just moved in their new home and there was no definition to the rooms. I needed to anchor their large painting and give the dining room an identity!


They wanted a masculine look and were drawn to a Ralph Lauren style of decorating. Crocodile to the rescue! I created large panels of crocodile on each wall to give the room some weight and counterbalance the large cast stone columns.


The clients felt the existing columns looked unfinished and needed some magic as well..


To give a more "finished" look , I troweled the columns with venetian plaster and painted the bases and capitals a contrasting color .


Now the banister, steps and wooden floors came together with that simple touch!

The dining room began to take on its' own identity and express the client's tastes.


To offset the heavy panels and draw the eye upward, I painted a simple, light design in crest fashion of crossed branches, oak leaves and acorns over each panel.


Done in a provence style, the "crests" give the room added height and interest on each wall.


When guests walk into the home, they  know immediately the lifestyle of the owners. Make sure you have architectural elements in your home and balance them with personal style!

18 comments:

D.B. said...

This looks amazing. I have a bit of a crocodile fetish - in decor and purses. You are unbelievably talented! Thank you so much for sharing your work. Beautiful!

My Castle in Spain said...

Fantastique job Theresa !
i also wanted to tell you, i sent your notebook today... :-)
Lala

Sanity Fair said...

THANK YOU for sharing this - you are such a gifted artist! I love the crocodile look, but the gold touches are perfection.
Thanks for all the fantastic Dallas advice! I can't wait to try it all out. So much fun!
-SF

Theresa Cheek said...

DB-after a loooong day, it is nice that someone thinks I am unbelievably talented!!

Lala-I am so excited! Can't wait till I get the journal!

Karena said...

Theresa, this is just amazing, you are extremely talented!!

Come read my interview with Empress of the Eye then enter my new Giveaway....I know you will love it!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Lynne Rutter said...

nice work, theresa!

Gina said...

Dear Theresa, Magic indeed. Fantastice work. Congratulations.

Unknown said...

Theresa you are SUCH A TALENT!!! you made the room and then some. The whimsy of the crocodile in a very classical somewhat Florentine setting is stunning. BRA.VO! I am in awe.

Theresa Cheek said...

You guys amaze me! I have pulled three ten hour days in a row finishing this job on the weekends and another large job of five rooms....your comments help me keep this pace!

Mark D. Ruffner said...

No, you amaze me! Wow! I would have particularly loved to have watched you do the columns. I watched a pair of columns get marbleized once at a hotel and was surprised to see that the artist worked to a finished states from top to bottom, rather than in overall layers. ...Mark

Alan said...

Now I know why I haven't seen you on FB; you've been busy! Nice work

Theresa Cheek said...

sigh...Oh Alan....this was done on the weekends! I am finishing five rooms in another house during the weeks...!

Merisi said...

Amazing job,
you made a home out of what otherwise would like like just another oversized mansion, and so artfully at that!
I hope you do find time to relax a bit after that work marathon, physically and spiritually.

home before dark said...

This is really, really, fabulous!

Kelle Dame said...

oh WOW!!! You did an amazing job! You added so much warmth! I haven't been by in a while...so glad I stopped by!

Regina at Fauxology said...

Gorgeous! Love the added crest detail. I hope you get some rest soon. :)

Cashon&Co said...

wow. crocodile walls! it's so realisitc! But I LOVE the treatment you did on the columns. One of the best marble treatments I've ever seen. I love the columns done like this in the lobby of the Eliot Hotel in Boston. Great look.

French-Kissed said...

You never cease to amaze~ what you did here is absolutely beautiful and transforming. Added such warmth and patina to this new home while cohesively marrying all of the elements.

~jermaine

Related Posts with Thumbnails