Saturday, January 22, 2011

What Fairytales are Made Of.....


King Ludvig's Bavarian sleigh

There was a time when travel for royalty was in elaborately carved coaches and sleighs.




Kerry Larson photo


Art and history are intertwined in these royal carriages.

The finest craftsmen were employed to carve, gild and paint these works of art.



The famous Lord Mayor's coach has painted panels reportedly done by Cipriani.



This coach, built for the Queen's 80th birthday, contains almost 4000 years of history!


[And] the Queen classifies the coaches as works of art." But for Mr Frecklington the coach is a historical monument. "This is a time capsule that goes back almost 4000 years."
The passenger doors are inlaid with wood from Henry VIII's flagship, the Mary Rose, the Tower of London and St Paul's Cathedral. Even Admiral Nelson's golden crown, rescued from the battle of Trafalgar, rides atop the roof, although here there is a hint of the modern world.



Jim Carlson photo

This is the Golden State  Carriage from the Royal Mews in London used for the Queen's coronation. History....art.....what fairytales are made of!

12 comments:

ceecee said...

Would love to have one of these at my beck and call. Who wouldn't? Did you happen to see Catherine the Great's Carnival sleigh with figures of St. George and the Dragon when it was on exhibit at the Texas State Fair quite a few years ago? It was amazing!
A Happy Sunday to you, Theresa.
Catherine

Theresa Cheek said...

Catherine,
YES! I did! It was so much better to see in person.

patrickgracewood said...

Theresa,
I've just spent 10 fruitless minutes searching the NY TImes website for the artist who made an entire carriage out of sugar. It was amazing
I know I didn't make it up. The funny thing is it's not nearly as over the top as the real deal. They really are fairy tale,,, as long as we don't have to cross Russia in one.

Unknown said...

Magical post! not many left and for how long? but in the meantime what a fantastic way to travel...not too far.

Theresa Cheek said...

Patrick...
You've got my curiosity up! I will look for it also.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Theresa, you have been awarded the Stylish Blogger Award. Here is a link to my post to see what it is all about. Congratulations! Mark

http://allthingsruffnerian.blogspot.com/

Theresa Cheek said...

thank you so much Mark...I am working on my list!

La Petite Gallery said...

This was pure Magic, I love fairy tales and thought these coaches
were fasinating. Thank you
for sharing such fabulous and
interesting post.

yvonne

Hollywood forever, Kevin said...

Thank you for dropping by. Because of blogs like yours I am always inspired. Also, since I'm from Texas and miss it very much, you have my attention even more.

Gina said...

dear Theresa, Congratulations! You have been given the Stylish Blogger Award. Here is a link to my post to see what it is all about.
http://ginaceramics.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html
It is the well researched and interesting and beautiful posts you write which makes it a pleasure to give you this special award.
Love,
Gina

Theresa Cheek said...

Thanks so much GIna!!!! Such an honor!!

Brillante Interiors said...

My favorite movie is Cinderella (the original one) so I am very attracted to these magic images.

Related Posts with Thumbnails