Saturday, November 19, 2011

When White is Right...


One of my best clients decided to update their master bathroom.




They decided to go with a cleaner look and get rid of the original 1920's pink tile. A palette of classic black and white was chosen.



After the crew finished installing the new floor and half tiled walls, I came in and plastered the upper walls with a finish of smooth, clean white plaster .



The galley space now has an open feel, due to the white walls and ceiling. Using plaster instead of paint added richness to her neo- classical elements.


I love the juxtaposition of the smooth polished plaster against salvaged wood. The architectural pediment was made into a window treatment.


Voila! This bathroom still acknowledges the age and style of the home, but now offers  better use of space and design.

Sometimes, white is right! 

4 comments:

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Theresa - What a cool bathroom! I've lived in at least 18 houses, and my favorite bathroom (and the one with the sleekest lines) was the black and white bathroom that dated all the way back to the 1890's. My current bathroom is yellow and black (very 50s, and very Florida) and I'd love to do a complete remake like this, in black and white!

Theresa Cheek said...

Mark-I bet your yellow and black is dramatic and wonderful! I do love a black and white bath though!

Dar said...

Stunning. I am a big fan of black & white tiles. That tub is to die for!

Oahu painter said...

Theresa I have done about 5 jobs with white venetian plaster and it always opens up the spaces. I love te glow of your walls and the contrast with the black and white tile. Beautiful job!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails