Saturday, January 28, 2012

Gem & Mineral Show..

I had the chance to run by a Gem and Mineral show today that was in town for the weekend.

There is always so much inspiration at these shows and I always have a list of things I need to pick up...

I grabbed some mica for an upcoming art project...the mica pulls apart in thin sheets and has a metallic sheen.

And some optical calcite!!! What a score! I use them for display bases for small architectural fragments or other oddities I have. (Got the idea from a Veranda magazine where one was used for a place card holder)

Here is the picture from Veranda where a calcite crystal is used for decoration.

Ok, back to the show. I always take reference shots of minerals for use in faux work.

Look at the banding of the malachite! Great reference for some trompe work.

Even the smallest specimens were not to be overlooked.

The best part of the show was a table they had set up for a large meal..every food item was a mineral or  gemstone!

There were loaves of rustic bread, cured hams, baked potatoes and pie!

Ended the day with a few pieces of mille fiori glass. I am a sucker for their intricate designs. Hope your weekend was full of fun and art!!

12 comments:

Janie said...

I absolutely Love gems. On our vacations our family used to stop at every science museum on the way (we took many traveling vacations through different states) and check out the gems sections (and gift store to see what was available...)

Beautiful!

MyFavoriteFrenchAntiques said...

What a great base idea for fragments...allows the focus to be on the fragment.

thank you, thank you

Theresa Cheek said...

Janie,
Thanks for visiting! I have always loved minerals and stalked many rock shops throughout my life!

Theresa Cheek said...

Nance,
I know! This is a fabulous idea! They only cost two dollars a piece and they are fabulous bases for objects. I put a teeny bust of Caesar on one and a small glass perfume vial on another.

Karena said...

Theresa I would be in heaven!! Such beautiful gems from the earth!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Helen Morris said...

They had one of these shows next to the IDAl convention at Portland. I bought so much that it made by luggage overweight for returning to UK. Had to thread it all into oversized and very heavy necklaces and bracelets which I wore home!

Theresa Cheek said...

Oh Helen, we all went home with jewelry from that show! That was one of the best bead and jewelry shows i have ever attended. I love the pieces I got there.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Theresa, that feast of gems and minerals is one of the most creative ideas I've seen in a long time — and it cracks me up! I wish I'd been there. I love malachite, and almost bought some this weekend (until self-control returned to the fore).

Regina at Fauxology said...

Great post -- I need to visit one of these shows. I'm seeing gems and stones everywhere in the design pubs. Love that calcite idea!

scooter said...

I was thinking of that bead and jewelry show, too, when I read this post. I love gems...and rocks - always wondering what is inside the plain ugly rocks. Geodes like to disguise themselves that way!

Great post, Theresa!

Cleta

Steve Shriver said...

The table of food is amazing! that was some creative thinking!
I've always wanted to get to the big show in Tucson, but have yet to make it. I love rocks- have lots of boxes of local minerals and fossils that are going to get put in a grotto, as well as a bunch of different colored clays that are going to be on a surfboard someday! Thanks for posting Theresa!

Dar said...

That malachite piece made me swoon... & I'm sucker for mille fiori, too. I love the base decoration idea, as well - thanks for sharing the inspiration!

Related Posts with Thumbnails